Burda August 2014 Review (International Edition)

Burda-August-2014 Cover

I’ve been subscribing to Burda for about four years and they seem to cycle through high and low periods. After the last stinker of an issue I expected them to be a slump for a few months but… this issue was surprisingly good! I’ll start with my favorites because I’m a “dessert first” kind of gal. The crazy (in a good way) seamlines in this dress look great colorblocked or in a solid. I love the idea of the print mixing on the left. Or, I could see it in a solid with top-stitching to make the seamlines really pop. Or, how about a mix of black ponte and faux leather? So many possibilities. Continue reading

I’m A Winner! Thanks Infectious Stitches!

Look what I won!
One of the blogs I follow (recently found) is Infectious Stitches. Emmely, the owner of the blog,  is a very handy lady she even made her own clapper, pretty cool.  Emmely was having a giveaway and I put my name in the hat so to speak . It was the Knip Mode July magazine which I’ve always wanted to get and try some of their patterns. Knip Mode is much like Burda in that you need to copy off the patterns and add seam allowances. But, I like their designs, or at least I like the this issues very much. They look very uncomplicated, relaxed and perfect for me.

A while back Emmely sent me an email saying I won and to send along my address. I did and then promptly forgot all about it. So, it was such a delightful  surprise when I came home to find a package from the Nederlands??? I got my magazine, some sweet treats and a cute little fabric postcard (sweet idea for those times we need to bust some fabric down). Here are a few of the designs I can’t wait to get started on.





purple blouse

Ah, so many pretty things, so little time. There is several more I want to do, but not sure how much summer wear I’m going to crank out between now and fall.

How about you? Have  you done anything from Knip Mode?

Cynthia Guffey Pants Fitting DVDs – Review


My local library, the Longmont Public Library, has a collection of 31 sewing and fitting DVDs from Cynthia Guffey (she’s the one in the purple jacket above), thanks to the Friends of the Longmont Library. Having pants on my mind, I checked out the two relevant titles: “Pants Fitting” and “Tweaking Pants Crotch Depth Crotch Length”. Try searching for “crotch” at your local library and see what you get. Besides the “Tweaking Pants” DVD, I got a medical guide for cyclists and “American Shaolin: … and the legend of the iron crotch”. Too funny. But I digress. Continue reading

U is for Underwear – Jalie 2568 Pattern Review

For the 21st post in my  series, the letter U, I decided to make underwear. (Believe me, there’s not much choice when it comes to items to sew that start with U!) Although I’d never attempted to sew panties before I had two underwear patterns in my stash, Jalie 2568 and McCall’s 5651. Jalie 2568 had 100% positive reviews on PatternReview, so I chose the Jalie pattern.  Continue reading

Born On This Day: Charles James July 18, 1906


Charles James is getting a lot of recognition this year with a look at his legendary career with an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Charles James:  Beyond Fashion. Considered to be a “master of the cut and fold” his creations are an architectural marvel. Hailed by his rivals like Chanel, Dior, Balenciaga, Schiaparelli as well as countless women  from high society ( and not so high like Gypsy Rose Lee) as the best and only dressmaker, James considered himself first and foremost an artist.  Take a look at some of his art.

 Charles James


4 leaf clover dress



Costume Institute Presentation on Upcoming Charles James: Beyond Fashion Exhibition


A few facts about Charles James

  • Some of his dresses weighed up to 18 pounds.
  • James was largely a self taught designer
  • He started in fashion making hats
  • Married Nancy Lee Gregory and had 2 children
  • James was openly gay
  • For a career that was over 50 years, there are about a 1000 of his gowns  left
  • He is said to have spent 12 years on one dress
  • He designed a children’s line after the birth of his son
  • He added the zipper into couture gowns
  • Died alone and broke in 1974

Further Reading

Charles James: Beyond Fashion (Metropolitan Museum of Art)

A behind the scenes look at some of James’ gowns from the Chicago History Museum

Exhibit at the Menil in Houston, Texas



Tote Bag from Quilt Blocks


I have quite a few 12″ quilt blocks that I’ve made just for fun. One of my favorites is a block from Carol Doak’s book 50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars book. The blocks have been sitting in my quilt block pile for quite some time, waiting for their future home. The time has come to turn it into a tote bag for my friend Paula. We’re planning to go on a cruise to Alaska next year and this block is the “Alaska” block from Carol’s book. I love the Frozen-esque colors! Continue reading

Fabric Swap #1 – The Floral Knit

Sometime last year, I (Lynne) found some fabulous knit fabric at the ARC Thrift Store in Louisville, Colorado. There were actually two pieces, each costing $3 or less. One I kept and one I gave to Kitty, in a challenge to see what each of us would make. At long last, we are ready to reveal our masterpieces! Continue reading