Ever have those sewing projects where nothing seems to go right? This pattern was super easy and the problems were not with the pattern but rather the universe (or me).
- First I cut out the correct view on the front and the wrong view on the back. I fixed it by cutting away at the back view and then piecing together a portion in order to make it all work.
- Neck opening was too small had to make an adjustment.
- I didn’t have enough fabric (since I made the repair) to make the belt. So, I found a contrasting fabric. Perfect.
- I washed the fabric, no problem. But, when I put it in the dryer and added a dryer sheet to remove static, the dryer sheet transferred an oil in blotches all over the fabric. There was barely 5 inches of clean space.
- I cut the ties to short and had to add extensions.
- Due to all the extra repair work I didn’t have enough original fabric to make the bias binding. Back to the gold fabric to see what I could salvage.
- Ripped out binding three times to get it to work (sort of did in the end)
- When I tried the blouse on I forgot I had a barrette on and it got caught on the neckline snagging it from shoulder to shoulder seam.
- Interfacing is a too stiff, should have used a lighter weight one on the belt area.
Despite all that, this blouse represents for me the day I told myself that my sewing skills warrant me buying the good stuff. My sewing skills are moving above and beyond and I think it’s about time I started using fabric to reflect my move into advance level sewing. Sure, not everything I make is $$$, but allowing myself to buy the good stuff every now and then feels good. Besides, with all that went wrong with this blouse, the fact that I was able to salvage it and not just toss it aside reinforces my decision as a sound one.
The fabric is a silk charmeuse from Elfriedes of Boulder.