This month’s challenge was to try something from a Threads Magazine. The challenge I found was “Material Mix” from January 2013. I was already planning on trying to knock off my favorite ready-to-wear skirt purchased from Costco a few years ago, so I thought I’d try and make it in two fabrics and duplicate the kick pleat, also covered in the same issue.
I started by measuring the Costco skirt carefully and copying it onto drafting vellum to turn measurements into pattern pieces. (Thanks, Jill, for suggesting this method!) I then added 2″ in overall circumference to adjust for my newer girth. The original skirt was made with a substantial ponte knit with stretch. I really like the design of this skirt, especially the triangular piece in the back, but the fabric is starting to pill. The knock-off also needs to stretch, so I had to look through my stretch knit stash.
There were a few possibilities, some involving non-stretch fabrics mixed with stretch. In the end I chose two similarly weighted ponte knits. After all, this was essentially my muslin and I didn’t want it to go too wrong the first time.
The original skirt also had a kick pleat that was not too hard to figure out just by looking at it. The Threads article gave some additional directions reinforcing what I could already see. They suggested using interfacing, but I didn’t feel it was necessary and left it out.
I think in the end, my two fabrics were too lightweight and the skirt could have been a bit more snug. I’m also not sure I like the grey center pieces. I think two less-contrasting colors would have been better. When I have more time, I might make this skirt again with a heavier-weight non-stretch fabric for the center panels and a heavier-weight stretch fabric for the waist and sides. For now, this black/grey rendition is not a bad start and I do love the kick pleat!