At the Denver Sewing Collective’s March Meetup I announced a Cape Sew-Along. There were 3 of us who started to make capes, Karin, Jane and myself. There were a few others who couldn’t make it but we can sew-along for as long as needed.
A few notes so far.
- I got my pattern from Etsy seller Spindesign and really loved the look of it.
- I am using some boiled wool I got at the last Sewing Expo here in Denver. Plus lining it in turquoise.
- HOWEVER, as Jane pointed out that the fabric I was using wasn’t quite what the pattern called for. The pattern called for a much drapey type fabric. Which led me to my first problem, the shoulder dart
- This particular boiled wool is quite thick and didn’t take kindly to being darted. Jane helped fit it during the meetup but then when I got it home and on my dress form I still couldn’t get the dart to lay well.
- Simple fix,just turn dart into a seam and so far looks much better.
This cape, the fabric, the lining, I’m falling hard for it all and is worth taking time on it. But my thoughts are turning to spring and summer clothes not wool capes! I think I’m going to get to a stopping point and put it aside and revisit the Cape Sew-Along in the fall. Hope you join in.
Ways to go! Stay with me!