For my 7th project, “G”, I chose a pattern from Grainline Studio, the Scout Woven Tee. This pattern is available as a download, which was a big plus for me. I intended my G project to be the Go Patterns Sleeveless Dress, but the Go dress proved to be more involved than I expected and I needed to find another G project fast! It probably didn’t help that I sewed my G, H, and I projects in reverse order, giving me the least amount of time to complete the project I’d be posting first. Hmmm, whose dumb idea was that?
So my G project changed to a cute pair of pajamas, an interesting choice since I’ve never ever worn PJs! And even if I did, I think this day-glow orange would probably keep both my husband and I awake all night. But I can wear these during the day when I’m just lounging around the house sewing; when the hubby is out-of-town like today! Ahhh, heaven! (I love my man, but I also love having a day to do nothing but sew!)
I made The Scout Woven Tee front and sleeves from a silky Bill Blass scarf I picked up in a thrift store for under $5.00. The scarf (a 33″ square) wasn’t large enough to make the whole top. So I rummaged through my stash and I got lucky when I found a thin cotton tablecloth in the exact orange of the flower print. I purchased the tablecloth years ago at a thrift store for $1.50, making the total cost for my G project $12.95.
I made a couple of changes to the Scout Tee pattern. The bias bound neckline wouldn’t lay flat, maybe because the tablecloth fabric I used for the bias was heavier than the scarf fabric. So I turned it twice instead of once, which helped. And the top was too billowy for my body shape so I added a piece of 1″ wide elastic at the back to take in the width at the waist. I covered the elastic with the purple border from the scarf. I also eliminated the hem allowance, using the existing hems on the scarf and tablecloth instead. (I love repurposing for exactly that reason!)
Since I had so much of the tablecloth fabric left over I decided to make a pair of pants to go with the top. This is how the idea of the lounging outfit evolved. Since I’d never made pants for myself before I looked for the simplest pants pattern in my collection. Simplicity 2155 with an elastic waist was the pattern I chose. By reducing the length of the pants hem by 1/2″ I was just able to fit the pattern on the remaining fabric. The only other change I made to the pants was to shorten the pattern waist by 1/2″. This is a common adjustment for me because I’m short-waisted.
Both of these patterns are quick and easy sews. Just what I needed after making those involved I and H projects, which I’ll be posting in the next few weeks.