Silhouettes Patterns – Laurie’s Pants

Lynne Collage

Ever since I saw my friend Jane parading down the runway at the Rocky Mountain Sewing Expo in a pair of “Laurie’s Pants” from Silhouette Patterns, I’ve been thinking about making a pair for myself.  Jane said the pants were comfortable.  And for me, they just looked fun.  But I wasn’t sure that all that swishy fabric would look good on me.  Curiosity overwhelmed and I finally bought the pattern.

Jane Collage

Doesn’t Jane look great?

I opened the pattern package with excitement.  Boy, those pattern pieces were huge!  The pattern comes in 8 sizes: 1 through 4 and 5 through 8.  I knew I was going to make size 1 (Silhouette Patterns provide finished garment sizes so you can choose your ease).  I immediately threw out the size 5 to 8 pattern pieces to reduce the number of tissue pieces by half.

In order to be sure of sizing, I made a muslin of just the top part of the pants in size 1.  I ended up removing 1.5″ in the crotch front and back to lower the waistline, using some great advice regarding crotch adjustments from the pattern instructions.  I ended up shortening the fabric “skirt” pieces by 1.5″ as well later on.

I deliberately purchased some inexpensive fabric at Hancock Fabrics so I could make a test garment.  The pants were made with a lightweight black fabric from the clearance section and the overlay was also a “value” fabric.  The overlay fabric unraveled like crazy! I made the pants first, overlocking all of the seams.  Then I made the skirt overlay.  Each piece in the overlay (there are 4) needed all edges to be overlocked before I could sew them together as they were just falling apart as I watched.  The four pieces were then stitched together part way down their lengths.  Then the “raw” edges needed to be hemmed.  This was a long process as the fabric was difficult to handle.  In a perfect world, I would have mastered a better edge finishing technique and used it, but I’m really just too impatient.

The skirt was then attached at the waist to the pants and a standard elastic waistband put in place. Then I hemmed the pants legs and tried them on.

Well I was initially in horror at the sheer volume of the pants and the overlay.  There was just no way I was ever going to wear these pants in public.  My husband thought that perhaps they’d look better on a leggier individual (like the model on the pattern envelope).  Or perhaps they’d look better if the skirt overlay had been shortened by about 4″.  Or perhaps the two fabrics I chose were just too constrasting.  But then I put on my black turtleneck and a black belt and it looked just a little better.  And the overskirt didn’t look *that* long.  So in the end, I think they’ll be a keeper, but I may not make another pair for a little while.


  1. I’m leaning towards what Jane said too… I think one fabric would be more elongating. I waffled on this pattern because it looked so great on Jane, but basically the silhouette is like a maxi skirt and that never seems to look as good on me.


  2. Lynne, It’s difficult to get a real feel for these pants via the photos. You might want to try narrowing the pant leg that may provide a more svelte line. I also think not having contrasting fabric would be better. And I totally understand the frustration of ravel-ly fabric. Bring them to the next meetup, I’d love to see them in person.


We love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s